The Organ

The present organ was built with two manuals and pedals (although a three-manual console) in 1887 by Nicholson & Lord of Walsall. There was a family connection between that firm and Nicholson & Co of Worcester. Nicholson & Co eventually acquired Nicholson & Lord in the 1960s and are currently responsible for the maintenance of the instrument.

The 1887 organ partly reused pipework from an earlier organ in the west end or north transept galleries, and had mechanical action. In 1922 Hill, Norman & Beard added a Great Trumpet and Swell Cornopean and (in 1937) the Choir organ using secondhand pipework partly from Glyndebourne.

In 1969 John Coulson added a Principal and Fifteenth to the Pedal (from a Hunter organ in Plumstead) and made substantial tonal alterations including turning the Choir into a Positive division that speaks directly into the nave through a side arch. Roger Newton added a Rushworth & Dreaper Tromba unit in 1984 (from Emmanuel Church, Clifton, Bristol). Finally in the early 1990s, Roger Taylor put the Pedal and Choir divisions on electro-pneumatic action and overhauled the instrument.

The present specification is as follows:

Great Organ (C - g3)

Swell Organ (C - g3)

Choir Organ (C - g3)

8′ Open Diapason 1
8′ Open Diapason 2
8′ Rohr Flute
4′ Principal
4′ Suabe Flute
2 2/3′ Twelfth
2′ Fifteenth
III Sesquialtera (17 19 22)
8′ Trumpet

8′ Open Diapason
8′ Stopped Diapason
8′ Salicional
8′ Voix Celestes (c°)
4′ Principal
III Mixture (17 19 22)
8′ Oboe
8′ Cornopean
8′ Gedeckt
8′ Dulciana
4′ Prinzipal
2 2/3′ Nasat
2′ Octav
II Rauschquint (19 22)
8′ Tromba

Pedal Organ (C - f1)

16′ Open Diapason
16′ Bourdon
8′ Principal
4′ Fifteenth
16′ Trombone
8′ Tromba

Couplers

Accessories

Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Choir to Pedal
Swell to Great
Swell octave to Great
Swell to Choir
Choir to Great
Three composition pedals each to Great and Swell
Reversible pedal: Great to Swell (at left of pedalboard)
Tremulant (Swell)
Balanced Swell pedal (at right of pedalboard)